Welcome to ‘week fifteen’ of our Continuous Improvement Agenda (CIA) blog series for 2020. The CIA is our polite nudge in the ribs to help you embed a routine of documenting your self-assessment and quality improvement plan.
Element 2.1.3: Healthy lifestyle – Nutrition and Menu Planning
Healthy eating and physical activity are promoted and appropriate for each child.
Are you meeting the following weekly menu requirements:
- The weekly menu is displayed in a prominent position for families to view
- Using a recommended checklist to ensure children are receiving their daily intake of good kilojoules during the day
- Your menu promotes healthy eating and is reviewed regularly
- The development of your menu is in consultation with children, educators and families
- You provide alternative food for children with religious/cultural needs
- Your service considers cultural needs such as Ramadan
- Your menu includes morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- For children attending the service for more than 8 hours, breakfast and/or an additional late snack is provided
- Infants over the age of 6 months are provided with iron rich foods and
- progress in texture according to their age
- You offer variations of the menu with consideration of special dietary needs
- Your menu includes a variety of meals from different cultures and a variety of tastes, colours and textures
COVID-19: within the Childcare Centre Desktop, Nutrition and Food Safety module is a guide for Managing children’s services menus during disruptions to food supplies.
Written Weekly Menu
Within System7 you can utilise QA2 / Module 13 to document your routine and evidence in respect of menu planning. The Suggestions area also contains further information including: medical conditions, furniture and utensils, water and related policies and procedures.
The Childcare Centre Desktop also provides a complete module of resources for Nutrition and Food Safety Management
Resource, NQS Element, Regulation and System7 links
- Compliance area – Childcare Centre Desktop
- National Quality Standard – QA2 / Element 2.1.3
- System7 Module – QA2 – 13
- National Regulation – 80 Weekly Menu
If you have any questions send us a note via the Contact page here