Welcome to our weekly quality improvement support series for 2020.
“It’s our polite nudge in the ribs to help you and your team stay organised and on task.”
This week’s subject is: Performance Appraisals
Element 7.2.3: Development of professionals
Educators, co-ordinators and staff members’ performance is regularly evaluated and individual plans are in place to support learning and development.
What evidence of routine performance reviews do you have on file? Does this evidence show that all Educators, Coordinators and staff members are included and results are then linked to individual professional development plans?
It is essential to have a pre-planned structure for review sessions. They should allow for a general introduction explaining the purpose of the review; an assessment of the year’s objectives and discussion as to what extent they have been met (and, if not, how they might be).
Both sides will gain more from the exercise if you have an ability to open up the conversation and work through some of the wider issues. Take care to listen actively and respond appropriately to what is being said. Remain objective and balance constructive criticism with positive feedback.
- Ensure staff are aware of the appraisal and evaluation processes
- Collaboratively develop a clear set of guidelines to follow when conducting each performance appraisal and provide a copy to each staff member
- Use job descriptions, Professional Development Plans (PDP), ECA’s Code of Ethics and observations to guide the appraisal
- Ensure all staff members self-reflect upon their own learning and professional development goals prior to participating in an appraisal meeting
- Provide opportunities for staff members to submit their own feedback and provide appropriate evidence of their achievements
- Provide evidence of how the effort, contribution and achievement of all staff members is acknowledged and celebrated
- Provide timely feedback about their performance to all staff members and opportunities to set new goals to ensure continuous professional improvement
Within System7 go to QA7 / Module 39 to submit your self-assessment notes and if required, open a QIP issue.
The Childcare Centre Desktop has a detailed Performance Review module as well as resources to support professional development goals and strategies.
Resources, NQS Element, Regulation and System7 links
If you have any questions send us a note via the Contact page here!