Welcome to our weekly quality improvement support series for 2020.
“It’s our polite nudge in the ribs to help you and your team stay organised and on task.”
This week’s subject is: Record Keeping and Retention
Element 7.1.2: Management Systems
Systems are in place to manage risk and enable the effective management and operation of a quality service.
You (the Approved Provider) are responsible for overseeing and ensuring that records are maintained and stored in accordance with relevant legislation contained in the National Law and National Regulations, National Quality Standard and Family Assistance Law.
The list of records is vast which means the system of storage and retrieval needs to be logical and secure.
An Assessor will want to see your storage facility, it’s accessibility and the way in which your educators, families and children’s privacy and confidentiality is protected. They will also ask how you update, retain and dispose of records.
During an A&R visit you could also be asked to present a selection of the following records:
- evidence of current public liability insurance
- a Quality Improvement Plan
- child assessments
- an incident, injury, trauma and illness record
- a medication record
- the child attendance record
- the child enrolment record
- the record of the death of a child while being educated and cared for by the service
- a record of the service’s compliance history
- a record of the responsible person in day-to-day charge
- the name of the person designated as the educational leader
- the nominated supervisor’s written consent to the nomination
- the record of volunteers and students
- staff records, including: the names of responsible persons for each time that children are being
educated and cared for by the service and the record of educators working directly with children
For more information and suggestions go to System7 – QA7 / Modules 4 to 19 where you can document evidence of record keeping and retention across all above listed items.
To also support your system of record keeping retention the Childcare Centre Desktop has a dedicated Record Keeping and Retention Policy as well as a Record Keeping Checklist including the list of documents and associated timelines.
Resources, NQS Element, Regulation and System7 links
Childcare Centre Desktop – Compliance / Governance and Leadership
National Quality Standard – QA7 / Element: 7.1.2
National Regulations – Part 4.7 Governance and Leadership
System7 Module – QA7 / Modules: 4 to 19
If you have any questions send us a note via the Contact page here!