Welcome to our weekly quality improvement support series for 2020.
“It’s our polite nudge in the ribs to help you and your team stay organised and on task.”
This week’s subject is: Safe Sleep and Rest
Element 2.1.1: Wellbeing and comfort
Each child’s wellbeing and comfort is provided for, including appropriate opportunities to meet each child’s need for sleep, rest and relaxation.
All children have individual sleep and rest requirements.
Are you able to meet these needs? Is the space comfortable, relaxing and safe and can you show evidence that it’s well supervised and that parents are informed about their child’s with daily sleep routine?
Can you answer ‘yes’ to the following questions?
- Do you complete a sleep/rest chart for each individual child, detailing each time the child falls asleep and wakes up?
- Do you have evidence that educators regularly check/inspect sleeping children at regular intervals and that they are always within sight and hearing distance of sleeping and resting children?
- Do you assess each child’s circumstance and current health. A child who is unwell will need to be monitored more frequently. Children who are taking medication or have recently been vaccinated may also require closer monitoring.
- Do your educators look for and respond to children’s cues for sleep?
- Do you conduct a regular safe sleep audit to ensure best practice is being implemented at all times?
- Do you ensure all relevant information is available in a handbook for parents and families?
Within System7 go to QA2 / Module 1 to submit self-assessment notes and if required, open a QIP issue.
These modules include suggestions for: safe sleep record, monitoring, individual routines, parent handbook, communication and the physical environment.
To support safe sleep documentation the Childcare Centre Desktop has a dedicated Safe Sleep Policy, Rest Time Procedure, Individual Daily Report and Safe Sleep Audit.
Resources, NQS Element, Regulation and System7 links
If you have any questions send us a note via the Contact page here!